Wednesday 9 July 2008

New Designers and a trip to London!

Have just got back from New Designers in London, which was very exciting! It's all a bit of a blur at the moment because it was such a busy week for us all. The photos above are of the event-most of which were taken before the Business Design Centre opened (which is where New Designers was held).

But first...the Degree Show. It was held at the Norwich School of Art and Design and it went really well! The Private View night was great and the whole school was packed with people coming to see our exhibitions. It was just really nice to see so many people taking interest in our work and looking at pieces that we have all been working hard on for the last year. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take any photos as it was so crowded...so I guess you'll just have to imagine how busy it all was...unless you were there of course :)

Anyways, I invigilated on the Saturday which was almost as busy as the Private View evening. I made some little business cards which I ran out of quite quickly and had a little comment book which was nice to read afterwards. I also had a look round at other course's exhibitions and was completely in awe of the work in Illustration-it was just amazing.

That Tuesday was set-up day for New Designers, (
http://www.newdesigners.com/) which was fun but difficult because our Degree show was still up. This meant making some more prints and selecting bits to take to London without compromising the quality of the Norwich exhibition. After a busy Tuesday we all headed back on the train ready for graduation the next morning, which flew by and before we knew it we were back on another train to London to attend the Open Evening.

That's when my stint in London truly began, and I think I managed to visit quite a lot into the 5 days that I was there, and I also learnt how to navigate myself around the city (which I was a little concerned about!) I spent a lot of time at New Designers and spoke to a lot of people, which was very exciting. And when I wasn't there I was visiting places like the RA, Leicester Square, Covent Garden and China Town. I didn't take any photos because I'm a bit rubbish when it comes to being touristy and feel like I miss out on things if I'm always trying to photograph them rather than just look at them!

Most of us stayed over in London seeing as we needed to be at the stand at New Designers as much as we could. I stayed with two friends at the Generator hostel in London, which is just off Russell Square. It was so much fun and contributed greatly towards helping my already visually saturated head become over-full with stuff! It was so interesting looking around at the many different kinds of people staying there-and I don't think it was at all what I expected. I really enjoyed it and was even a little bit sad to be leaving!

So...finally (and well done for getting this far) I came back to Norwich on Sunday night and am now busy preparing for Free Range which opens Friday 18th July (
http://www.free-range.org.uk/) on Brick Lane in London (again!). Am looking forward to it, and especially excited about being able to put my work up again and trying out different layouts, which is what I got to do at New Designers.

Will hopefully have some more photos soon!
Bye for a little bit :)








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...